We believe that everybody has the right to attend a safe working environment as well as returning home safely each and every day. This is why, at TXM, our vision towards health and safety is based on striving towards our target of zero. We’ve called this our Journey to Zero.
- Zero fatalities
- Zero reportable accidents
- Zero occupational illness
- Zero injuries to the public
- Zero incidents / damages
We want to influence attitudes and alter behaviours towards health and safety as we believe there’s nothing that can’t be completed safely. We’re making it our goal to develop a positive, proactive culture, whilst simultaneously learning from our oversights in order to prevent their reoccurrence.
Whether out on site or in the office, the activities we undertake as a business have the potential to cause long-term adverse health effects, both internally and externally to the general public. Our Journey to Zero campaign allows us to increase the awareness and focus on the general health and wellbeing of our employees, as well as promote good health practices amongst our workforce and partners in order to set an example to the Rail Industry.
Objectives and Targets
In order to reach this, we’ve created objectives and targets that we will strive to achieve. This includes,
- Members of the Senior Management Team to attend quarterly Journey to Zero meetings
- Members of the Management team to attend depot and project specific SHEQ meetings
- Ensuring that the Senior Management Team actively participate in SHEQ inspections companywide
- Implementing the ‘Employee Safety Representatives’ Programme – allowing any volunteers to represent their team.
- Ensuring that the Business SHEQ and commercial risks are assessed annually by the Senior Management Team
- Depot/Project Management teams to ensure that all risk assessments are appropriate for the task and delivered in an efficient manner
- Researching efficient SMS / Integrated Management Systems for the business
- Developing the investigation standard for the company to be in line with the principals of the root cause analysis and fair culture.
- Ensuring that the Journey to Zero initiative and risk elimination is prominent at all our monthly depot, project and board meetings.
- Developing an Annual Action Plan, which will include details of specific risk elimination activities to be adopted within the business
- Committing to undertake; general wellbeing for all employees, health awareness and training where appropriate.
- The Senior Management Team and SHEQ Representatives providing input into annual objectives and targets for the business
- Communicating the annual Journey to Zero plan to all stakeholders and safety critical suppliers
- Undertaking a climate survey within the business in order to gain employee feedback on SHEQ and company related issues
- Engaging with local communities on a depot and project basis.
- Ensuring findings and lessons learnt from all incidents or events are shared with all stakeholders and safety critical supplies via a structured process
- Developing a communication plan which includes; tool-box talks, posters, campaign presentations and branding
- Senior Management team-leading cross-division SHEQ tours and participating in learning exchange events
- Promoting healthier living both in work and personal factors for a healthy, happy workforce.
- Ensuring a formal appraisal process is in place and implementing an appraisal training programme within the company
- Developing a suite of leading indicators within quarterly meetings to monitor the progress of the initiative
- Developing a series of good practice guides with partners and suppliers on our high-risk activities
- Sharing good practice and celebrating SHEQ achievements across the business and wider industry
- Ensuring information of our Journey to Zero is included in all job advertisements and the induction stage
Actioning these points will be how we strive towards zero. They will provide opportunities for better communication between staff, allowing us to consistently embed the message of health and safety. Not only will it ensure consistency throughout depots and departments, we will maintain the highest standards possible and become thought leaders in health and safety within the rail industry and build the TXM legacy.